In May and June the following research on herbs and health has caught my eye.
1. A recent laboratory study has shown that a constituent of milk thistle may be beneficial in treating prostate cancer, and may be synthesised into a drug.
2. A new study has shown that taking devil’s claw, turmeric and bromelain reduced inflammation and pain in patients with osteoarthritis.
3. A recent a laboratory study has shown that pomegranate may have neuroprotective effects.
5. Watercress has been found to be an effective treatment against E.coli, and is being considered for mass production high dose supplementation.
6. A recent report has shown a “complex link” between asthma and antibiotic use in children.
7. Rhemmania leaves were found to be beneficial in treating primary glomerulonephritis according to a recent study.
8. A new study on Ginkgo has found that it slows the progression of normal tension glaucoma.
9. A new report from the USA states that “walking may reduce the risk of death or need for dialysis in patients with chronic kidney disease”.
10. Several species of cranberry have been confirmed to have preventative effects for urinary tract infections.
11. An evaluation was conducted on research of herbal based creams used to treat psoriasis. The traditional preparation of Oregan grape (Mahonia aquifolium) was studies but the results were not conclusive.
12. An evaluation was conducted on research of herbal gout treatments. Results were promising but more data is needed.