In August the following research on herbs and health has caught my eye.
1. A laboratory study of garlic showed that it inhibited the growth of dental plaque bacteria, even at a low strengths.
2. A laboratory study looking at ginger and it’s anti cancer properties found that the whole ginger compounds were more effective than ones made into synthetic extracts.
3. A laboratory study found that ashwagandha had neuroprotective effects against HIV induced neuropathogenisis.
5. New pharmacological tests have shown that taking ibuprofen and aspirin together can make the aspirin ineffective.
6. A new study found that athlete’s taking beetroot had improved performance.
7. A new study in the US has found that St John’s Wort is more cost effective and therefore a valid option instead of generic antidepressants.