This month the following research articles on herbs and health have caught my eye.
1. In laboratory studies, an extract of the medicinal mushroom Chaga (Inonotus obliquus) was found to protect liver cells.
2. In another medicinal mushroom study this month Lion’s mane mushroom (Hericium erinaceus) was found to not only protect against dementia but also gastric ulcers.
3. In a new study of a very ‘old’ herb, ginseng was found to have antimicrobial effects against infections.
4. Turmeric is a fantastic herb and one that’s been researched many times for different reasons. However, one of the problems with turmeric is that is can be tricky for the body to absorb when taken as a capsule, unless combined with black pepper. A new study has just confirmed the traditional way of preparing turmeric (usually in a milk product), makes the turmeric more bioavailable.
5. In laboratory studies, an extract of Andrographis paniculata was shown to reduce breast cancer tumours.
6. In another laboratory study, ginkgo has been found to be a treatment for spinocerebellar ataxia.